Though a small house is not the ideal setting as imagined by many home-buyers/renters, many are opting for small living spaces owing to the area and financial constraints. No matter what your reason for living in a small space is, you'll undoubtedly have to make some compromises and adjustments.
Though a small house is not the ideal setting as imagined by many home-buyers/renters, many are opting for small living spaces owing to the area and financial constraints. No matter what your reason for living in a small space is, you'll undoubtedly have to make some compromises and adjustments to your lifestyle in order to make everything fit and not feel cramped.
When the space you live in is small, each thing and every corner count. Color, furniture, lighting, décor etc. all plays a significant role in determining the look of a living space. Here, we are giving you six expert tips to make a small room look bigger by simply applying a few clever tricks.
- A clutter free home should be the mantra of any person who dwells in a small home. There's nothing that makes a small space look and feels cramped more than having too much stuff. Thus, it is advisable to work out ways to get rid of the excess clutter or organize them behind doors, table skirts, or on shelves. With things neatly arranged and out of sight, the space that is in view will feel orderly and open. Clear out the clutter right away!
- Colorful homes look good only when done tastefully. But for small spaces, playing with colors can get risky. Loud colors have the tendency to make space look fuller. Hence, always choose soft, light and cool hues which will make space feel open and airy. Along with white pastel tones of blue, green and give optimum effect.
- When it comes to decorating a small place, the rule of “less is more” should be the mantra. Keep minimalistic and multi-functional furniture do that no space and pathways are blocked. Placing the furniture against the walls to maximize open space is a win-win situation.
- Keeping the vibe of the whole place simple is an easy way to make a small place look big and spacious. Match the drapes with the color of the wall, and the color of the furniture to the drapes. Color coordinating, keeping the décor minimal and staying away from big and chunky wall hangings helps in making a tiny place look spacious.
- Well-placed mirrors can do wonders for compact spaces by making the room look larger. Fix a focal point and angle your mirrors toward it to give the illusion of depth. Mirrors on the walls and glass tabletops will give your room a more open feel. One can also use mirrored cabinet doors to make spaces feel larger.
- A compact house should use airy, light and sheer fabrics as they allow the light to pass through window treatments, bed skirts, table covers, and furniture slipcovers. Soft floral vines or simple stripes keep the look simple. By using materials that you can see through, anything beyond will appear farther away.
Whether you’re a student in a dorm or just maybe living in an over-priced apartment in a metropolitan area, you know the struggle of living in a cramped place. We hope these ideas will inspire you. By following some of these simple rules about decorating a small space, your home will feel comfortable.
After all, small is beautiful, easy, and practical.